The Student Voice of St. George's School

The Creed

Canadian Teams Battle for the Cup Once Again

2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs

2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Heavy rain pounded down on the excited crowd that had snaked around the sports bars where the playoff games were being shown. The bar was filled with a rainbow of colours supporting their favourite teams. Minutes before the puck dropped, fans were screaming encouragements for their favourite teams. The first whistle set off a fury of excitement throughout the bar. This was a scene that played itself throughout Canada as five Canadian teams made it to the playoffs this year. This year was a momentous one since last year none of the Canadian teams had made the playoffs.

Two of the five hopeful Canadian teams,  the Calgary Flames and the Montreal Canadians, were the first to end their playoff hopes. Despite their efforts, the Flames couldn’t manage to overcome the mighty Ducks, getting swept 4-0. The Montreal Canadians displayed more of a heartfelt attempt winning two games but losing 4-2 in the series. With two of the Canadian teams out, fans were hopeful that the remaining three teams may show a greater chance of winning.

The Edmonton Oilers surprised everyone when they managed to defeat last year’s Western Conference Champions, the San Jose Sharks by 4-2. This is a promising start for a team that hadn’t past the first round of the playoffs since 2006.  Local St.Georges  teacher Mr. Wyatt added “This has been an unbelievable start to the playoffs for the Oilers.  Lets not get to ahead of ourselves as it was only one round.”

The Edmonton Oilers are moving on to round 2!

The Toronto Maple leafs are a young and upcoming team that left the playoffs with a much needed exposure to the intensity of the playoff atmosphere to better prepare for next year. The young Maple Leafs team couldn’t handle the more experienced Washington Capitols losing in six games. The Ottawa Senators beat the rough Boston Bruins 4-2. This is a promising season for die hard Canadian fans who had their dreams of their favourite teams playing in the playoffs shattered last year.  Another local teacher, Mr.Pagliericci also expressed his opinion on the first round of the Canadian teams playoff journey, “They are doing much better than expected, hopefully one of them can make it to the finals and possibly win the cup!”

The Senators complete the upset against the Bruins

The rain continued to plague the cities across Canada, but fans were unwavering their support for what seemed to be a dream come true. Having five Canadian teams in the playoffs meant five chances of bringing the Stanley Cup home to where it belongs. The cold Canadian winters are often thawed by the excitement of the upcoming hockey season that draws massive crowds together in celebration and support.