The Student Voice of St. George's School

The Creed

Filed under News, Opinions

Mutually-Assured Destruction Resurfaces as an option for the US, in the Battle for Korean Regional Stability

Picture: John Laurits; Insurgent Journalism, Poetry, Weaponized Mathematics

Kim Jong-un is sending a message that could hardly be any clearer. He will not be stopped, not by sanctions, nor the quaint words of denunciation from just about anybody.

North Korea’s recent rhetoric suggests it’s willing and capable in launching nuclear first-strikes on South Korea, Japan, and even the United States. According to Japan Times, North Korea told the US government it wanted to establish a “mutually-assured destruction relationship” with Washington, when the two countries held informal talks shortly after Pyongyang’s nuclear test back in 2016. Their pleas fell upon deaf ears, unfortunately. The US government rejected the offer in swift, saying that it “cannot accept such a deal.” In response, a spokesperson for DPRK warned of the “catastrophic consequences” for any US aggression or preemptive attack, affirming that the DPRK is “ready to react to any modes of war desired by the US.”

Yet the restraints that have prevented open conflict so far remain in place. “If Pyongyang attacks the US or its allies, the overwhelming response will mean the end of Kim’s regime”, says Charlie Campbell, Beijing Correspondent for Time Magazine. “If the US strikes North Korea first, Pyongyang possess enough conventional firepower to devastate nearby Seoul and Tokyo.

However, as more fresh evidence surfaces arguing THAAD’s (Terminal High Altitude Area Defense) inability in defending South Korea in the case of DPRK aggression, it seems that the US is left with little options but to accept the Kim regime as the world’s newest nuclear state.

Such solution, on the other hand, attests to be increasingly unlikely. In his September 19th vow to “completely destroy North Korea”, President Trump refuses to show any falters in US hardline diplomacy against DRPK, despite recent cabinet turmoil over the topic.

Meanwhile, in the St. George’s community, one Grade 9 student who spoke on promised confidentiality commented he “couldn’t care less” on US-North Korea solvencies. On the other hand, an anonymous contributor from Grade 10 supported former US President Obama’s “strategic patience” tactic, otherwise leaving the Koreans to deal with their own problem.

All of which helps explain the frustration the Republicans on Hill has to face – on the one hand, they have a rational yet ruthless Kim who now has nuclear arms. On the other, they brace themselves for the dog days that are to come, under a provocative president.